Table Sorting Method
A common complaint / confusion / problem of the site has been
"How are the teams sorted for display on the web page?"
"Why is Team A listed above Team B when Team B wins this tiebreaker if the playoffs were to start tommorrow?"
Hopefully the following comments will explain how and why we sort the tables as we do.
- First of all there is more than one logical way to sort the tables using games from a partially played season. Most
of these will result is the same or very similar ordered table. But all methods sometimes for some leagues results in a list that does not "look" right.
- We do not sort the table based upon "if the playoffs were to start tommorrow". This would be the best method if all teams have played the same number of games.
When this is not the case the resultant table often "looks" wrong. In addition, when using the league playoff tiebreaking rules to sort, our computer
algorithms must use games from a completely played season.
- We sort the table using the probability numbers in the table. Using the NFL league as an example. Each division is first sorted by the probability of the team winning Spot #1 (highest to lowest). Ties are broken by using Spot #2, Spot#3, ... numbers.
The division winners are then sorted by the same method. Wildcard spots are determined by sorting the remaining teams based upon the probability that they MISS THE PLAYOFFS (lowest to highest). Ties are broken by using Spot #6, Spot #5, ... numbers.
This method seems to produce a sorted table that "looks" right most of the times.
- In general, teams with greater probabilities are listed higher in the table.
- The above sorting method often produces the same list as "if the playoffs were to start tommorrow". Exceptions occur when a team does
not hold a tiebreaker but is listed higher due to its greater probabilities. It's greater probability due most likely to an easlier remaining schedule and more
home games. (which is why some people prefer this method to the "if the playoff were to start tommorrow" method)
- The above sorting method generates the correct ordered list at the end of the season.
- The main point is that the probability numbers for a team are more
important and is the main content of the site rather than its position in
Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved